Wednesday, February 8, 2012

And Greater Works Than These Shall He Do



John 14:12: “Verily, verily, I say to you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also: and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.”

Jesus expressed His love for people who were in a difficult situations. He did not do it for His power, but did it to express His love. This is what the Gospel is all about. Jesus was more committed to expressing His love than showing off His power.

There was a man who went to Haiti to check on the ministry he had there; some small schools in the hills. He came to a little hotel to get cleaned up before he boarded the plane to go home. There by the entrance he was intercepted by three young girls. They were about 15 years old. They all propositioned him for $10 each for all night. There they stood, skinny and hungry. The man said “I have $30. I will pay for all 3 of you to be with me all night long!” The man rushed up to the room, called the front desk and said, “I want every Walt Disney video that you have.” Then he called down to the restaurant and said, “I want 3 banana splits with everything on them including extra ice cream!”

The girls came and the ice cream came and the videos came and they sat at the edge of the bed and they watched videos and ate ice cream and laughed until 1 a.m. That’s when the last of them fell asleep across the bed. As he saw those girls stretched out across the bed, he thought nothing had changed. Tomorrow they will be back on the streets selling themselves again. He didn’t know enough Creole to tell them about salvation, but the word of the Spirit said this to him: But for one night, for one night you let them be little girls again! If Jesus were to make a decision which is the greater work - walking on water or giving one night of joy to 3 little girls that had been to hell and back. Which do you think Jesus would consider the greater work?

- Pastor Regan Myers