Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Father's Legacy


This post was brought to us by guest author Gordon Hodgett. Happy Father's Day!

My father has played a significant role in shaping my life and guiding me to become the man I am today. He has always been a natural teacher, patient and understanding. Always willing to explain things in a way that can be understood, even as a small child. We often joke about when we were growing up and we did something wrong our primary punishment was the long talks our Dad would have with us in lieu of getting a spanking and how sometimes that seemed worse. Looking back now I appreciate the time he took to explain things to me and instill wisdom into my life instead of just blindly giving me direction.

I could not ask for a better father and role model in life. He has always lived his life by example, not telling me how to live or what is right or wrong, but showing me by example. Showing God’s love to his family and the others around him, not just setting rules and establishing consequences for disobeying them, but by living a life of integrity to show us as an example what a Godly man looks like.

The Hodgett Clan


He also taught me work ethic, which has played a significant role in my life and has helped me reach many of the goals I have set. In this day in age where the entitlement mentality dominates our generation, a solid work ethic is such a huge tool. As a child I remember complaining and wanting to go play with my friends instead of cutting firewood, mowing the lawn, or working on the house. Now I look back and am so thankful my dad taught me the value of hard work and seeing a task complete to the end.

Although I am sure I do not tell my Dad enough, he has played a huge role in my life and has sown many seeds of wisdom throughout the years. My hope is that I can have the same positive effect on my children and they can say these things about me when they are older.