Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Compassion


As I was reading the words of Jesus in Matthew 25 I was gripped by the compellingness of Christ toward helping the poor and needy. Jesus said, “For I was hungry and you gave me to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me to drink, I was a stranger and you took me in, and I was poorly clothed and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.”

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I say to you, insomuch as you did anything for one of these, the least of my brothers, you did it for Me.” This passage gives the real heart of God, “To love your neighbor as yourself.” It takes some action for love to grow. We are told in Scriptures not to “love in words only, but in deed and in truth.” I John 3:18

Love is costly. It takes effort and time, and sometimes it takes money. Love is best expressed by showing compassion. When we show compassion toward others we are compelled to do something to change or improve their circumstances. To pity someone because of their misfortune means only to feel sorry for them and to do nothing to help them. But we are people of compassion!

We have an opportunity to put compassion and love into action next Sunday! We are reaching out to help and bless some people in this area during our Christmas in the Country program at 2:30 p.m..

It will be our opportunity to “feed the hungry, take strangers in, help clothe some people and to pray for people with need.” Many people from the area will come who need our love and compassion. We will provide some warm blankets, hats, gloves, mittens, shampoos, toothpaste and toothbrushes, bar soaps, deodorants, dish soaps etc. These are items that you can make or bring to the church on or before December 16th! Let’s all put on “bowels of mercies and kindness” and offer compassion in a loving way toward those with needs that we can meet. (Colossians 3:12/1 John 3:17)
Bring your donations to the church this week! Thank you!

-Pastor Amundson