Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Be Thankful

We think of November as the Thanksgiving month. I want to express this month concerning the importance of being a grateful and thankful Christian in this world. A person who is thankful is one who will not be an annoyance to other people, nor one who permits bitterness to go to seed that becomes a defilement to others. My friend Larry Lundstrom wrote a cute story and some thoughts about being “thankful!”

One Thanksgiving season a family was seated around their table, looking at the annual holiday bird. From the oldest to the youngest, they were to express their praise. When they came to the 5-year-old in the family, he began by looking at the turkey and expressing his thanks to the turkey, saying although he had not tasted it he knew it would be good. After that rather novel expression of thanksgiving, he began with a more predictable line of credits, thanking his mother for cooking the turkey and his father for buying the turkey. But then he went beyond that. He joined together a whole hidden multitude of benefactors, linking them with cause and effect.

He said, “I thank the checker at the grocery store who checked out the turkey. I thank the grocery store people who put it on the shelf, I thank the farmer who made it fat. I thank the man who made the feed, I thank those who brought the turkey to the store.”

Using his Columbo-like little mind, he traced the turkey all the way from its origin to his plate. And then at the end he solemnly said “Did I leave anybody out?” His 2-year-older brother, embarrassed by all those proceedings, said, “God.”

Solemnly and without being flustered at all, the 5-year-old said, “I was about to get to Him.”

Well, isn't that the question about which we ought to think at Thanksgiving time? Are we really going to get to Him this Thanksgiving?

As cute as this story may read, there is a solemn truth… “Will we get to the real reason for Thanksgiving? Will we stop long enough between gobbles to actually take turns to express what each one of us are thankful for?” If you are struggling with what to be thankful for, here are a few thankful starters:
  • Thank God for bringing you all together.
  • Thank God for the moment Jesus came into your life. (This is a great way to share your SHORT testimony.)
  • Thank God for the bad things that DID NOT happen to you that you will never know about because of God’s hand of mercy and protection.
  • Thank God for your children and grandchildren and how you desire God will be the center of their lives.
  • Thank God for food when millions in the world are starving.
  • Thank God for providing you a home and money to pay your bills.
  • Thank God for FREEDOM to go to church, read the Bible and worship God. (It’s fragile—don’t take it for granted.)
These few thankful starters will hopefully remind each of us of the bounty that we each have to be thankful for. Psalm 28:7: “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him.”