Tuesday, November 11, 2014

They Fought For You!!

For God and Country! Today we take a few moments to recognize and honor the millions of men and women from our nation who have served in the military.

Veteran’s Day is this Tuesday which is a day set aside to remember all of our veterans and their families for the sacrifices each one has made to protect and provide for the well being of this great nation!

From my earliest boyhood memories I can remember fantasizing of being a soldier someday serving for my country. I remember my father taking me to an Army surplus store where I would ask him to buy me a camouflage shirt and pants to wear. I was so proud to think and look like I was a soldier.

I felt very unfortunate when I was unable to enter the military because of a physical problem when I was 18 years old. So many of my boyhood friends including two of my brothers enlisted or were drafted into the service. I envied every one of them. A number of them that I personally know were injured or wounded during the
Vietnam War.

I was extremely disappointed and appalled at the response of many Americans when the war in Vietnam was over and our troops returned home. We had lost nearly 60,000 soldiers and twice that many had been wounded with so many of them suffering brain injuries and loss of limbs.

The war had embittered the American people so that the returning soldiers were often met with disrespect, hatred, and belittlement for their heroic deeds. My disappointment was with the lack of respect and honor that should have been given to these returning men and women who had fought for all of us.

I am proud and thankful to be an American and very grateful to all of our military men and women who fought for me. Throughout my life and ministry I have not forgotten those who served, fought, and died for the freedoms we have enjoyed as a Nation under God.

A veteran is any person who has served in the Armed Forces of this country. Tuesday is a legal holiday in the United States honoring all members of the Armed Forces. They are all worthy of recognition for which this day holds.

Our worship service today includes special mention to those in our congregation who have or are serving in our nation’s armed forces. We salute you!! In every war there are stories of bravery and heroic deeds. My heroes are all of you men and women who served our nation and to those who gave their all. We must never forget what they have done!! They fought for you!!