Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Plea For Onesimus

“I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten while in chains, who once was unprofitable to you, but now is profitable to you and to me.” (Philemon 10, 11)

As we continue to examine God’s love through our current series “What’s Love Got To Do With It?” I felt God speaking to me and say “Continue to talk to my people about love! Because I want my sons and daughters to stop running; you’re running from your own giftedness. This hard person you have become is not you. This callous you have put over your heart that you did to protect yourself from the pain of being you, has incarcerated you; your strength is in the vulnerability of your own passion. If you stop running from the fear of being hurt you would find the power of living forward. Stop running. Stop running from how I created you. Stop pretending to be tougher than you are. Stop allowing your past to make you cold and callous and independent. Stop running Onesimus, the Church at Ephesus is waiting on you! And you can not be my leader if you are living on the run. Don’t be running at a time you should be thinking. Don’t be running at a moment that if you were free, you would be useful. When you get to church, tell Onesimus, stop running! What is waiting on you on the other side of your own fear and insecurity? I wonder how much more useful you could be, free, than you would be running.”  The name Onesimus means “useful.” And to all of this God has written you a love letter to liberate you for what He is about to do in your life! What is your response to God?

I work with a lot of people that are down and out. I gravitate to people like that. I have always been for the underdog I guess because I was there at one time in my life. People can be so mean to you; they can put their foot on you and be so cruel over you and your mess and ignore their own mess and prosecute and persecute you; loosing sight of their own wretchedness.

I am afraid we are living in a generation that is losing its ability to love. I am afraid that God has to allow trouble to come and shake us to our senses to show us that there is a higher calling than this pettiness that we succumb to. People hiding behind Facebook and Twitter saying more vicious things than I can believe.

In the midst of a storm or a tragedy we stop our pettiness for a higher reasoning that we could be more useful to each other together, than we are apart. When you are under water drowning, you don’t care who it is that helps you. Our world is under water; our country is under water; this generation is under water. Stop running Onesimus! We need you to save our generation! We need you!